Our 13th Annual Garden State 5K happened on Saturday, September 18th. If you would still like to donate, you can do so here: https://secure.qgiv.com/event/202garsta5/
Our mission is to be a resource to those diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis in order to educate patients and others about the disease and options for treatment; to offer hope, comfort, and knowledge to patients, caregivers, and their families; and to raise funds in support of research to find effective treatments and a cure for this disease.
Living with Pulmonary Fibrosis is a major life change. Belonging to the Garden State Support Group helps by connecting with others and sharing experiences, support, and direction. We are dedicated to helping persons affected by pulmonary fibrosis. We welcome patients and their family members, as well as care and support providers.
- We provide information about the disease, its treatment, and the latest research we can uncover.
- We have guest speakers connected to research and hospitals.
- We raise community awareness.
- We raise funds to support research.
- We are a 501(c)(3) organization.
Normally, we meet on the last Wednesday of each month at 7 PM at
During the pandemic, we will meet virtually on Zoom. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. See our calendar below:
Legal Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed by members or by presenters attending the meeting are based upon their own experiences. They are general in nature and should not be taken as recommendations or as a substitute for those recommendations by your physician or health care provider.
Every September, which is Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Month, we organize a 5K Run/Walk to raise funds for the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation. In recent years:
- 2021: 13th Annual Garden State 5K (flyer)
- 2020: 12th Annual Garden State 5K
- 2019: 11th Annual Garden State 5K
- 2018: 10th Annual Garden State 5K
- 2017: 9th Annual Garden State 5K
- 2016: 8th Annual Garden State 5K
- 2015: 7th Annual Garden State 5K
- 2014: 6th Annual Garden State 5K
- 2013: 5th Annual Garden State 5K
- 2012: 4th Annual Garden State 5K
- 2011: 3rd Annual Garden State 5K
- 2010: 2nd Annual Garden State 5K
- 2009: 1st Annual Garden State 5K
Whether you walk or run or just join us for fun, we have food and drinks for participants, raffles, and prizes.
What is Pulmonary Fibrosis?
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), 200,000 Americans and over 5 million worldwide are affected by Pulmonary Fibrosis (PF). This is a condition in which the lung tissue becomes thickened, stiff, and scarred. The development of the scar tissue is called fibrosis. As lung tissue becomes scarred and thicker, it loses its ability to transfer oxygen into the bloodstream. As a result, the brain and the other organs don’t get the oxygen they need. In some cases, doctors can determine the cause, but in most cases it is unknown. When unknown, the disease is called Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF).
In 2014, two new drugs were approved by the FDA for the treatment of IPF. These drugs are: Esbriet (Pirfenidone) and OFEV (Nintedanib).
There are a variety of options to help you manage your condition and maintain your quality of life. Typical standards of care will include supplemental oxygen, pulmonary rehabilitation, referral for clinical trial participation, and/or lung transplantation.
- Shortness of breath (dyspnea)
- Chronic dry, hacking cough
- Fatigue and weakness
- Rapid weight loss
- Discomfort in the chest
- High resolution CT scan (HRCT)
- Pulmonary function tests
- Listening for Velcro-like lung sounds with a stethoscope
Individual treatment will vary to manage your symptoms. Possible treatments may include:
- Supplemental oxygen
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Drug therapy
- Lung transplantation